Striking a balance between functionality and style is a challenge home owners must face when maintaining the integrity of their backyard living areas. While there’s plenty of protective measures on the market, many of them lack the aesthetic appeal you’re searching for. Thankfully, it’s never been easier to keep your backyard protected without having to put style on the back burner. In this blog post, we’ll share some inspired decor tips to not only preserve your outdoor furniture but also enhance its appeal, making your outdoor oasis a delightful place to relax and entertain.
#1. Waterproof Accessories
Water damage is perhaps the most detrimental side effect that can arise from elemental exposure. Metal furniture is prone to rust and oxidation while mold can form on textiles and wooden furniture. Preventing moisture from wreaking havoc in your backyard should be a top priority no matter which climate region you call home.
Just because you need to stay wary of water damage, however, doesn’t mean you have to toss out all of your vulnerable furniture every couple years. It’s possible to add waterproofing features to furniture and accessories with the help of chemical sealants and solutions that won’t compromise their aesthetics.
- For wood furniture, apply a lacquer or varnish sealant with a brush or spray nozzle. Only apply in a well ventilated area onto clean, pre-sanded wood and be sure to put on protective outdoor cushion covers beforehand.
- If you’re looking to prevent your metal furniture and appliances from rusting, protective enamels are the way to go. Spraying on these protectants will keep your metal waterproofed as well as help maintain their healthy shine no matter the weather. Mold and mildew protection can be accomplished with well-ventilated covers that deter buildup and prevent growth.
#2. Covers That Coordinate
A well-fitted outdoor furniture cover is without a doubt the most reliable protection available when it comes to backyard accessories. But if they don’t mesh visually with the rest of your outdoor living area, you may have an aesthetic blunder on your hands that will be difficult for you and your guests to ignore.
The key to ensuring that your table covers fit in with your pre-existing design scheme lies within the realm of colour coordination. If warm hues dominate your garden accessories, cool toned covers will clash when laid out for protection. The solution? Break out the colour wheel to help bring successful colour stories to life.
Prior to purchasing any new outdoor furniture and sectional covers, take note of the colours that you have already implemented throughout your outdoor living space. Most covers can be customized in specific colours, which allows you to keep your backyard furniture preserved with sectional covers while staying true to your personal style.
#3. Stylish Storage
Putting your outdoor furniture and accessories into storage ahead of inclement weather is a simple yet often overlooked solution for preservation. Everything from fire pits to chaise lounges can be protected from rain and debris within the safety of storage. But unsightly sheds and storage containers can be a visual blight on your otherwise pristine backyard.
Transforming your outdoor storage solutions into visually appealing features is a task that’s easier to tackle than you may think. You don’t need a design degree to make your storage shed shine, especially when you’ve got these actionable ideas on your side:
- The simplest way to help your outdoor storage pop is a new paint job. Outdoor paints come in every colour of the rainbow and are formulated to withstand the wear and tear of outdoor exposure. Be sure to choose a shade that both catches people’s eye and matches well with your sectional covers, and always remember to sand and prime prior to painting.
- With your storage calling the backyard home, it makes sense to integrate it into the environment with the help of plants. Consider planting durable blooms such as Marigolds, Coneflowers, Begonias, or Spider Flowers along the sides of your shed for maximum visual appeal. Not only will these boost the visual appeal of your storage areas, they’ll bring along with them the lovely aromas we all associate with blooming gardens.
- In addition to painting and planting, you can spruce up your shed with the help of decorative accessories. Outdoor art can be hung on the sides or door of the shed while features such as bird baths or fountains can be placed next to it to create an environment that’s as charming and cohesive as it is functional.
Preserving your outdoor furniture is not just about extending its lifespan; it’s about creating a sanctuary that reflects your style and enhances your outdoor living experience. By choosing durable materials, investing in protective covers, and following regular maintenance, you can ensure that your outdoor furniture remains a source of joy for years to come. With inspired decor tips and a touch of creativity, your outdoor oasis will become an inviting haven that perfectly balances nature and design.